Sunday, July 26, 2009

Kansas teen with several learning disabilities wins "Best Teen Chef in the Country"

From Lawrence Journal-World in Kansas:

SHAWNEE, Kan. — Sammy Jo Claussen (pictured) never gave up.

The “best teen chef in the country” suffers from dyslexia, attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder, attention deficit disorder and bipolar disorder.

Claussen, who graduated in May from Shawnee Mission North High School, never let her problems get in the way of her love of cooking. And because of the can-do attitude, she’s been able to rub shoulders with Food Network celebrities Rachael Ray, Guy Fieri and Mario Batali.

She received the title of best teen chef in the country in May after winning the Art Institute of Charlotte’s Best Teen Chef final round competition.

Claussen is an inspiration for anyone with dyslexia, ADHD, ADD or bipolar disorder.

“I know people that are dyslexic that say they can’t do this because of it, but I didn’t let that get to me,” she said. “If I can do it then they can do it, too. I never gave up; no one should give up on themselves.”

She fell in love with cooking as a young girl during visits with her grandmother.

“I always liked staying in the kitchen and helping,” she said. “What kid doesn’t like getting dirty making things?”

In her junior year of high school, she began attending the Shawnee Mission school district’s Broadmoor Technical Center’s Culinary Arts program.

“When I started off with the cooking, I couldn’t read anything in the book. I had to have my mom reading it to me,” she said. “I started watching the Food Network, and that’s how I noticed words and how they would do things. Now, I can understand more things than I used to. I’ve progressed so much on my dyslexia. At the beginning of high school, I was at a fourth-grade reading level. My reading went up, not to where it should be, but I’m in the high school level now.”

To compete in the national challenge, Claussen first had to compete in March in a regional competition in Kansas City, which was no small feat.

“They gave us what we had to cook for regionals, and I practiced that for two months,” she said. “Then I found out I had a broken wrist, so I had to practice with holding a knife and all that stuff differently. A lot of people thought I was an easy target, but there is no way I would go down like that. I gave 110 percent.”

Claussen won the regional competition by a single point.

For the final round of competition, Claussen had to create a soup, salad and entrée in an hour and a half. Each competitor had to prepare catfish for their entrée.

Claussen breaded and pan-fried her dish, then created a liquid-free sauce and side dishes. She used her creativity to perfect the presentation of her dishes.

“They gave us a lot of yellow. When designing a plate, you have to have a lot of color to look at,” she said. “I had to decide how to get color on the place. That’s where the sauce came in.”

After winning the competition, Claussen was whisked away for interviews and photos.

“I had been up since 8 and running back and forth. It really wore me out,” she said.

Prized pickings

As part of her winnings, Claussen received a full-tuition scholarship to study culinary arts at the International Culinary School at The Art Institutes International-Kansas City, along with a daylong internship at The Food Network studios and a seven-course meal at a Food Network chef’s restaurant.

Claussen participated in her internship in June.

“I got to see how they run things in the kitchen and meet staff,” she said. “They were really nice and open-armed. They showed me new things and stuff I had forgotten so I could bring it to my school now.”

Claussen watched Rachel Ray tape a segment for one of her Food Network shows and helped to prepare for Guy Fieri’s cooking segment.

Later, Claussen dined on a seven-course meal at Mario Batali’s Del Posto restaurant.

“I wish I would have won bigger pants,” she joked.

Now back home, Claussen recently began her second week as a full-time student at the Art Institute.

“It’s very interesting, a lot of homework, but it’s always nice to hearing people saying, ‘It’s good to see you back in the kitchen,’” she said. “I really like the school and it’s a great school. And I don’t have to worry about paying; I can study more and do homework.”

After receiving her bachelor’s degree from the institute, she plans to work as an executive chef and travel the world while taking in different cultures and getting ideas for dishes.

After her travels, Claussen plans to open a Western-style restaurant in Texas.